Monday, July 30, 2012

Friends

As we travel through life we accumulate a lot of stuff.  My most prized  possessions are family heirlooms,  stuff made by my children and pictures of places visited,  family and friends.  Friends are collected throughout our lives for various reasons.  We grew up with some,  worked with some and just were lucky enough to meet some in some random way.  Tonight,  other friends and I held an informal memorial for a dear departed friend.  Unfortunately,  I have reached that age where this has become more frequent than I would like.  Although it is hard to say goodbye to friends,  I always try to remember that I was fortunate enough to have had these friends.  Barb was a classmate but in so many ways she represented all that is good in friendship.  I was able to spend a few precious hours with this friend over the last 40 or so years,  but I never felt that we were that far apart.  When you grow up with someone,  you experience the same things at the same relative time.  That creates a bond that doesn't require constant contact.  For the most part,  you develope the same likes and dislikes.  You see things in much the same light.  So physical distance does not hamper your relationship.
My other friends and I said our goodbyes.  Shed a few tears and told a few rememberances.  Even though we will miss Barbie,  we will always be better for having shared our lives with her.
Keep your hearts and arms open for all those friends you have.  Someday, you may have to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to comment, leave your name.