Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Grizzley Bears

Like so many other people, I am sleep depraved.  I stay up way to late in the AM watching the Olympics.  Good thing it only happens every other year (summer / winter).  I enjoy most of the sports.  I, however, do not like the purely professional sports (basketball, tennis, soccer and such).  I think it taints the actual amateur events.  I know, you can say that most sports border on the professional these days.  The tremendous facilities and the seeming endless availabilitty of coaches and time.  It would seem that most atheletes at these levels are not employed and have tremendous amounts of time to practice.  I know some are payed well for endorsements which may or may not make them professional.
I know to a great many it would be unimaginable that the USA not win basketball,  or that the Williams girls not get medals for their tennis ability.  I for one would like to see the Olympics revert to amateur games as best we can guarantee that.  After all,  I get no more joy from watching a group of NBA or WNBA stars whip up on some way less skilled team that I would watching a grizzley bear rassle a toy poodle.
I do, however, enjoy watching some of the smaller countries produce medals.  I cannot be sure that they aren't somehow given the same advantages as Olympians from the much larger countries.  But,  what the heck, it makes for feel good stories.
To sum up,  put amateurs back in the Olympics and leave the Grizzley Bears at home in their mansions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you choose to comment, leave your name.