Monday, October 22, 2012

Look Out!

As I drove to work today,  I saw a young man standing alongside the road.  It was obvious that he saw me approaching.  As I drew near,  while looking directly at me, this young man walked into the road.  I could tell by the look in his eye that he was doing this just to be cute.  He assumed that he would make me put the brakes on and he would derive some twisted pleasure from his little game.

Now, I still feel like a pretty good driver.  So, I did not slow down, instead I kept my pace and moved to the right just enough to leave a couple inches between him and my 4000 pound vehicle.  In my mirror I could see his eyes (about the size of pie plates)  and a look of disbelief.  I think it was clear to him that he had just been stupid.  I was expecting the BIRD.

I see this behavior all too often.  Young people are oblivious to their surroundings.  They walk on the wrong side of the road and never glance back at approaching traffic.  They test you with deliberate crossings in front of oncoming traffic.  In general, they show a complete lack of respect for others.  Unfortunatly,  some one will not be paying attention or will have stayed at the watering hole just a little too long and one of these brave (read..stupid) kids will learn how destructive 4000 pounds of metal can be.

My Parents took the time to teach me how to survive while on foot, or on a bicycle for that matter.  Walk facing the traffic and give way.  You cannot win a match of Chicken with something that out weighs you by a couple tons.  If riding,  go with the traffic flow, but, constantly check behind you for overtaking machinery.  Not only is this respectful, it is prudent to your own survival.

While my manuevering around the young man was probably stupid in itself,  maybe he  got the message that not everyone on he road is willing to play.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to comment, leave your name.